As adults, we all like a nice drink of alcohol or two. Alcohol seems to be the perfect nightcap after a long day at work. It also is what you have when you’re out with friends or even at a business lunch. Most adults around the world enjoy alcohol in some form. Whether it is a glass of beer, a nice dirty martini, or a glass os whisky. Whisky is classic, it’s universal.
But, is whisky actually good for you? How much should the normal person consume? Also, what are the effects of whisky on the human body?
Are There Any Health Benefits to Whisky?
You might just be asking yourself if there are any real health benefits to drinking whisky. After all, you’ve most likely been told that there really aren’t any benefits to drinking alcohol. And certainly, it should go without saying that drinking alcohol should be done in moderation. We will get into the negative effects that drinking whisky can have on your body. For now, let’s get into the surprising benefits of whisky.
Is whisky good for you? That is what we are going to cover down below:
- Drinking whisky lowers the risk of heart disease. Multiple studies have shown that a glass of whisky a day lowers the chance that you may get heart disease. Whisky can raise the amount of good cholesterol. Which, is a nature fighter against heart disease.
- Whisky contains ellagic acid. This helps absorb rogue cells in your body. Due to the high levels in whisky, it can help fight against cancer. Of course, whisky isn’t the only thing that can help fight against cancer, it is something that can help fight against a terrible disease.
- Whisky contains no sodium and very little fat. As a result, it can help fight against weight gain. In fact, it can help you lose weight. Whisky contains simple sugar, which is a type of sugar that can be easily and naturally processed in your body.
- As you can imagine, whisky is a natural relaxant. You need to take the edge off every once in a while and whisky can certainly help with that. A glass of whisky a night can really help relax you.
- Whisky has been shown to reduce diabetes by 40%. The benefits of whisky include helping fight against diabetes.
- If you are feeling a cold coming on, whisky can certainly help. With the winter coming on and COVID-19 running around, having a glass of whisky is a natural combatant against sickness.
- Drinking whisky is also studied to help prevent dementia, though; it is suggested to drink in moderation.
- Whisky is high-proof and therefore, activates the enzymes in your stomach. Meanining, it’s a good digestive.
- Whisky can help reduce blood clots, because it helps boost up high cholesterol.
- As a final health benefit to drinking whisky, it can boost your immune system. You probably never thought of it, but it’s important to have a strong immune system in the next upcoming months.
It may seem surprising that drinking whisky could have so many benefits on your body. In general, when we think of drinking alcohol, we think that there isn’t anything good that can come from drinking whisky. Of course, you need to remember that it’s all about moderation. Any negative effects that come from excessive drinking will be explored in the next section. But, with moderation, you can find that whisky can be good for you in many ways. Who doesn’t like helping out their heart and preventing cancer while enjoy a neat glass (or on the rocks)?
Negatives of Whisky: What Happens When You Drink Too Much?
We have gone through the benefits that whisky can have on your body, but we should certainly touch upon the negatives of whisky. With any alcohol, there are certainly negative side effects. We would be doing a disservice if we did not go through them. As we have mentioned earlier in the article, everything needs to be done in moderation. If you drink too much alcohol, it isn’t going to be beneficial in your body. It’s the same thing like having too much chocolate or too much red wine. Just because both have beneficial properties, doesn’t mean you should be abusing it.
In this section, we are going to go through what the effects of whisky do to the body so that you can be aware of what can happen if you decide to abuse whisky:
- Excessive consumption of whisky, like all alcohol; has the ability to negatively impact the heart. I.e. it can weaken the heart. Which makes it susceptible to heart disease. As well as heart attacks.
- For those who heavily drink whisky, you are looking at some serious damage to your liver. Over years of excessive whisky consumption, you can see damage to your liver that can really cause problems. Your metabolism process can become overwhelmed and lead to a fatty liver. You have the potential of liver failure and type 2 diabetes.
- By drinking too much whisky over years, you run the risk of negatively impacting your pancreas. What happens with alcohol consumption is that the blood cells around the pancreas begin to swell.
We went through some of the ways whisky can harm you, but let’s do a quick summary to take a look at the bullet points:
- Drinking too much whisky can cause liver disease – which is probably the most common side effect of alcohol abuse.
- Cardiovascular disease is another side effect if you decide to abuse whisky. You shouldn’t be drinking whisky every day, all day. That is the sure way to get cardiovascular disease.
- You can run the risk of developing respiratory infections if you are abusing whisky on a daily basis.
- If you drink too much whisky, over time; you run the risk of getting cancer.
- Ulcers can develop with whisky abuse.
- In some cases, you can experience nerve damage when you drink too much whisky.
It’s important that when you are looking at what whisky can do for you that you look at both the positives and negatives. We have gone through the negatives that come from the overconsumption of whisky. It is unfortunate that alcoholism is a real thing that plagues many throughout the world. For that, some people should stay away from whisky and find the same health benefits in other ways.
Conclusion: Is Whisky Good For You?
When you think about being healthy and combating against the diseases mentioned previously in this article, you probably think that fruit and kombucha are what need to be consumed in order to get a healthy diet. So, you most likely didn’t think that whisky is a reasonable option for combating against certain ailments.
As you can see, though; based on this article and findings from research, whisky can have beneficial properties if consumed in a small amount. You can combat against cancer and other diseases. Be sure you do not abuse whisky, because then you will end up doing more harm than good. You run the risk of doing some seriously damage to your body. So, be sure you have a small amount of whisky and most important of all – make sure you enjoy it.
Users also searched for: